Saturday, November 29, 2008

Our Thanksgiving Adventure

Our morning started with about eighteen inches of snow. I woke at six to my neighbor across the street snow blowing his driveway. Yep 6 AM snow blowing. He really knows how to have a good time.
So I got up. He has a long driveway and there was no way to sleep through that. I had coffee instead and read all of your blogs. Go me!!
Then I went out and cleared a spot for Jason to pull the truck in when he got home. Yep. I am a good wife. I hope he doesn't get used to that. It probably won't happen again.
So Jason came home and attacked the snow with a shovel and a vengeance. It was a vicious fight but he won.
And then and then and then the power went out. On Thanksgiving Day when everyone in all the whole world has to use the oven, the power goes out. Lucky for me I didn't have a turkey in the oven. We were very fortunate to be invited to a friend's house. We will get to that adventure in a minute. But first, lets go back to my powerless kitchen. I had big plans for Thanksgiving morning. I wasn't in charge of the bird. So I thought I would whip up a few delicious appetizers and mouth watering desserts. Nothing like the loss of power to bring one back to earth. Instead I made things that could sit and wait to go in the oven at our friends house. Stuffed mushrooms anyone?
Do you remember that part back at the beginning where I said 'we got eighteen inches of snow'? Well that was just the start. It kept snow all day. We had quite a slippery little adventure getting to their house. Our 25 minute trip took about an hour.
It was so worth it though. They were the most gracious hosts. The food was fabulous. They barbecue the turkey. It was out of this world. It had a little smokey hickory flavor and so juicy. It was hands down the best turkey I have ever had. (Sorry Mom.) In fact, I think I will be trying this very soon myself. We had wonderful company and great food. What could be better than that.
We had a rather hair raising ride back home but my little mini van is a champ. And we made it home safe and sound. We came in and put two very tired kids to bed. When I went to check on them later, neither of them had moved a muscle. It was a long day but a very good one.

Hope you Thanksgiving was a little less exciting but just as fun and tasty.

4 comments:

Kellan said...

WOW - that is a lot of snow!! And, BarBQ turkey sounds heavenly!! Glad you had a good Thanksgiving! STay warm - Kellan

Belle (from Life of a...) said...

Left you something over at my blog.

Cynthia said...

Mmmmm BBQ turkey:P

dlyn said...

Not quite as much adventure, but we did nearly have the furnace service guy as a guest - does that count?