Saturday, June 21, 2008

A Surprise

I make no secret of the fact that I am new to town life. Where I grew up there were lots of farms and fields. It was a wonderful way to grow up. We could go in any direction and find untamed land in which to roam. In the summer we tromped through the creeks and the woods that make up the landscape around my parent's home. In the winter we loved to sled to down the big hills and sometimes right into the road at the bottom. In short,there were always interesting things to see and do.
Jason grew up much different from me. He has lived in town pretty much his whole life. He was born on a farm in Minnesota but they followed his father's job. That led them to a few states in the mid west. Most of the places he lived were quiet little neighborhoods much like this.
So the other night we were sitting in the living room after dinner playing with the kids. We heard a noise that Jason was familiar with but was very new to me. It was a faint music. I had heard of this strange phenomenon before but had never seen it in real life. The music kept getting closer and closer.
We grabbed the kids and ran outside to see what it could be. We waited in anticipation of what was coming

Then we saw it.


As it came closer, I wondered, could it be an ambulance? Jason assured me it wasn't.

What is this? Could it be? A truck that comes right to our house and delivers ice cream. Oh happy day!!

I wasn't the only one who was happy.

And it was good.

I think I am going to like town life.

5 comments:

dlyn said...

I want an ice cream truck!

Anonymous said...

I scream, you scream, we all scream for ice cream!

My poor kids always have to just watch the truck go by. At about $2.50 - $3.00 a piece here ... 6 kids ... you do the math.
:(

The last two months at work, if we make our on time delivery from our area over 90%, the ice cream truck comes right to our front door at work, once a week, and we can get anything we want.

"Intentionally Katie" said...

This is about the sweetest post I've ever read! I love that this delights you. I've always lived in bigger towns, but in a REALLY big town like Phoenix, the ice cream trucks don't drive slow enough to snap pictures. And they certainly don't drive slow enough to grab money and race out to the curb to stop them to buy a treat.

My childhood memories of ice cream trucks are similar...hearing the music, screaming at my mom across the house to get permission to get some, racing to my piggy bank to get change, speeding out the front door just in time to see the back end of the truck round the corner down the street. *sigh*

Make sure you keep change in a handy place so you can appreciate this experience again and again this summer!

Lauren said...

They used to come every sunday when we lived in Hawaii. I too found it quite exciting and foreign.

dlyn said...

There actually was a truck that delivered ice cream to our house, but your Dad was driving it. ;)