Wednesday, October 1, 2008

The Doctor Office and a Rant

Anna had her fifteen month check up yesterday. She weighs in at a whopping 22 lbs and is 30 1/2 inches long. She is getting so big. The doctor says all is well. She is growing along to the lines that she should and is a little ahead in some places like talking surprisingly enough. Jason and I are so quiet so we don't know where she got that.
Mark was so good while we were there. I told him when we got there that if the doctor was in the room he had to sit in the chair. Everytime the door opened he ran for the chair. He does have good moments.
The best (or worst as the case may be) part about the doctor didn't even happen in the exam room. It was in the waiting area. After shots, they ask you to stick around for a little while to make sure everything is OK. Well we sat out in the waiting area. While we were sitting there this older lady came out and sat down. She started talking to me. She asked me why we were there. I told her for my daughter's well child check.
Oh really, she asked, what is that?
So I told her the doctor just looks her over and she get whatever shots she needs. What shots did she get, she asked.
DTaP I said.
What is that?
I said I really don't remember what is in it.
Well, she said indignantly, I would never give my child a shot if I didn't know what was in it.
Now I am a parent and I did my research. I research each and every one of my kids immunizations. But maybe just maybe I didn't want to be grilled in the doctors office about how I take care of them.

Keep reading...It gets better.

I just let that go little incident go because really I didn't feel like arguing with her. And honestly don't care what she thinks.
I was just going to sit quietly and wait for the nurse to come back but she wanted to keep talking.
She started asking about my family. So I said something about my husband and I....she interrupted me to ask, You're married?! She was surprised that I had caught me a man. Now I realize there are a lot of single moms in the country. And I celebrate thier ability and willingness to go it alone. I know I couldn't. But really, is it so surprising to find a married woman in the doctor's office at 10:30 on a Wednesday.
This was about the time that the nurse came back and checked Anna's shot. We left as fast as we could.
As I was buckling the kids into thier seats she came out the door and walked by my van. She asked me so what kind of gas mileage you get on that thing(my van)? I laughed and said It's not good. Because really if we don't laugh about the gas crisis in the country we will cry. She snickered to herself and told me how much cheaper the gas is where she lives. Then went and got into her Hybrid and drove away. What I didn't tell her is that we hardly ever drive our van. In fact we would have walked this morning if the kids weren't sick and it had been pouring rain. But then she probably would have found something wrong with my stroller.
Sorry to rant this morning but she made me mad. Some people have no social graces what so ever. Her mother obviously never taught her the old line about if you can't say something nice....

4 comments:

dlyn said...

I would have gotten her photo with my camera phone to illustrate this post - maybe even a video. "Speak directly into the phone, ma'am."

Anyway - I tagged you today :)

Don Mills Diva said...

That woman obviously needs a good swift kick in the butt.

Just sayin'.

Belle (from Life of a...) said...

For the life of me, I can't understand what some people are thinking....maybe that's just it...they DON'T think!

Anonymous said...

I know, isn't it so amazing how fast they grow and learn! I'm sorry for your odd encounter at the Doctor :(