Thursday, September 4, 2008

More Preshool Stuff

Last night we went to orientation for Mark's new preschool. I am beyond excited for him. There is about a 100 years worth of experience with toddlers on the staff. They are all licenced teachers. I am still not ready for him to be gone all morning but I know this will be so good for him.
Since we had a sitter anyway Jason and I decided to do something we never do and go out. It was so nice to sit in a restaurant and have grown up grown up conversation. There was no cutting up food into minuscule pieces or yelling at anyone to get off the floor. Of course the waitress did seat us next to a family with little kids. So we did get to hear other people yell at their kids. It wasn't so bad though. We might have missed them otherwise.
This leads me to my question for today. We never ever go out. I have no idea how much to pay a babysitter. This was the first time she sat for us. She nor her mother would tell me a rate. They both said whatever you think is fair. What is the going rate for a babysitter right now? She was here for 2 hours and 45 minutes. I gave her $15. I realized after she left she did a great job. She cleaned up toys and swept the kitchen. She cleaned up from dinner. She was great with the kids. I am starting to think I stiffed her. Jason defiantly thinks we stiffed her. What do you think?

In other news, I love Craigslist. We sold a chaise that didn't really fit in our new living room for $75. Yesterday I bought an enormous box of Legos for $10. I am so thrilled. They are worth about $35 and it is a set we don't have. I love love love Craigslist. It's like going to garage sales with out having weed through other people's junk.

3 comments:

Burgh Baby said...

Babysitters in my neighborhood charge $10/hour. Which is part of the reason we go NOWHERE. I only made $2/hour when I babsat and that was NOT that long ago!

Glad you were able to get some time away!

Anonymous said...

I will ask my daughters but I think that about $5 an hour is medium income for baby sitting. I think that is what even my college age daughter received a couple of times this summer. If you want to ease the guilt of wondering if you have been fair (been there ... done that .... I mean you're kind of valuing what your kids are worth .... positive or negative), then pay about minimum wage from your area. If the young person is younger than 16, they will be thrilled with $6 or $7 dollars an hour. But burgh baby is right, if you really give as much as you think it's worth for all that work .... you’ll never be able to afford to go out.

The first time you step on one of those legos in your bare feet, nestled in the living room carpet .... it's not going to seem like such a good bargain! ; )

dlyn said...

Ask people at the nursery school what people pay in your town. It can vary so much from one area to another. I think the minimum wage idea might be a good rule of thumb though.