Saturday, August 30, 2008

The Other Carpenter Here

The contractors aren't the only ones around here doing my bidding. I asked Jason to put up some shelves for me the other day to store some of my small kitchen appliances. He was happy to do the shelves. Pictures on the other hand; not so much.

He has a work bench in the basement now. He is usually looking for an excuse to go down there and get out his tools. Getting out ones tools gives them an excuse to drink beer. If drinking beer is motivation to put up shelves for me, so be it. Just don't cut off anything important.
And here they are finished. Go Jason!!

Finally I am taking a survey today. The shelves went in to the mud room. The mud room has this horrid wood paneling. Jason kind of likes it. My survey question is what do you think? Should we paint? Are you with Jason and it's not that bad? Or are you sane and think it is awful and should have been painted years ago when wood paneling went out in the 80s? And if you think it should be painted; what color do you like for a mud room?

9 comments:

Grandma Shirley said...

The shelves look nice against the wood paneling. Good job Jason.

Kellan said...

I think if it's a mud room - the panelling is fine. We painted our den paneling and I liked it a lot better. Have a great weekend - Kellan

Y'all Spoken Here said...

As an interior designer type of person, I would PAINT the paneling and the shelves the same color. Maybe a neutral shade of taupe or khaki. It is time consuming, though, since you have to prime the paneling with a heavy duty primer, like KILZ. After that dries, then it should take 2 coats of the paint. I have painted LOTS of paneling over the years, and NEVER have I regretted it! Good Luck with the project! That is why they call this LABOR DAY! We are fence building here! ;-)

dlyn said...

Oh paint for sure - I would look for something the color of mud I guess. Actually - something fairly light - khaki sounds pretty good or maybe a green toned beige. [which is khaki -ish I suppose.] It will look much brighter and far less dated. Ugh to all paneling. :)

dlyn said...

And Jason did a nice job on the shelves.

Lauren said...

I think it seems like an easy fix to your extreme dislike to paint. Since Jason if fine with the panelling pick a color to paint that you can both come to love. That way both of you can be happy instead of just one. :) Too bad you already put up the shelves.

Jules said...

Oh that first picture is such a speaking one. So just what was he thinking? LOL

Don Mills Diva said...

I think the paneling looks kinda retro funky myself...

Fisher's Blog said...

I think you should put some of that pretty wallpaper from the kitchen in there with the paneling. That would look great!!!